Updated: February 24, 2023.
In this quick SEO FAQ, I am sharing my insights on how long a technical SEO audit may take.
How much time should you spend on doing a technical SEO audit for your client? Can you perform a decent technical SEO audit in a few hours or do you need the entire week?
Watch my video below and check my notes to learn!
How long does a technical SEO audit take? [Video]
Here is my video where I explain my thoughts on how long a technical SEO audit should take and how long it takes me.
Key points on doing a technical SEO audit and how long it should take
- You can perform a quick technical SEO check within a few hours but probably won’t be able to detect or analyze more complex technical SEO issues.
- When doing a technical SEO audit, you should always use a variety of tools and follow your own checklist of issues you always check as opposed to blindly following the recommendations from crawling tools.
- You need experience and knowledge to be able to tell whether a specific issue highlighted by a tool is indeed an issue that you should prioritize.
- My essential set of tools to do a technical SEO audit includes, among others, Ahrefs, Semrush, Sitebulb, Screaming Frog, JetOctopus, Google Search Console, and more.
- A technical SEO audit differs from a full SEO audit in that it focuses only on technical SEO elements like crawling, indexing, sitemaps, robots.txt, performance, and more.
- An SEO audit often analyzes other SEO elements, such as titles, descriptions, headings, current visibility of the website, quality, and more.
- A decent technical SEO audit should take anywhere between 15-20 hours in most cases. Of course, it largely depends on the size and complexity of the website.
Check my other articles about SEO audits
I have already written a lot of articles about SEO audits and how to perform SEO audits using specific SEO tools. Make sure to check them all.
Check the below articles:
- How To Do An SEO Audit (190+ Steps)
- How to audit your site with Sitebulb
- How to audit your site with JetOctopus
- How to audit your site with Google Search Console
- How to audit your site with Ahrefs Site Audit
- Check my SEO auditing services if you are looking to hire an SEO to audit your site