Updated: June 9, 2023.
Let’s dive in!
All you need to do:
- Download and install Web Developer if you haven’t already done it.
- Click on Web Developer when installed and added to Chrome
- Refresh the page and you will how it functions without JS.
Method 2: Use a tool like JetOctopus which allows you to compare the website without JS and with JS
To use JetOctopus to compare the website without JS and with JS, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- First, create an account on JetOctopus and add your website to the tool.
- Once your website is added, select “Tools” and “Compare JS vs non-JS” in the left sidebar menu.
- Paste the URL of the website you want to check and choose the bot. Note that you can check ANY website here. Click “Load”.
Disabling JS in the browser can affect the performance of other sites or services that require it, and it can be time-consuming to enable and disable it each time you need to check a website’s reliance on JS.
JetOctopus provides an easy solution by allowing you to compare the website without JS and with JS without affecting other sites or services running on your browser.
To do that, you need to compare the source code of the site with the rendered code and check whether all content and meta tags are visible.
There are a lot of tools that let you do that. My favorites include:
- Mobile-Friendly Test: The Google Mobile-Friendly Test that not only lets you check the mobile-friendliness of a website but also see the rendered HTML code together with the screenshot of how Google sees your website.
- Google Search Console: The Google Search Console URL Inspection Tool (and using Test Live URL) that also lets you view the rendered HTML of the URL and the screenshot. To be able to use that tool, you need to have access to the GSC account of the website.
- Page-oscope by Mobile Moxie: Page-oscope by Mobile Moxie is a Chrome plugin that allows you to compare the rendered and unrendered HTML of a website. This tool can help you ensure that all of the content on the site is accessible to Google.
Related articles for SEO auditors: