This episode of the SEO Podcast by #SEOSLY features Gus Pelogia who is a Brazilian journalist turned SEO and conference speaker. He currently lives in Ireland and works as the SEO Product Manager at Indeed.
I invite you to subscribe to the SEO Podcast by #SEOSLY to keep learning SEO with me and the SEO experts I interview.
Follow SEO Podcast by #SEOSLY
You can subscribe to the SEO Podcast by #SEOSLY on popular podcast platforms.
Interview with Gus Pelogia (video)
I record both the audio and the video version of each episode. Here is the video version for you.
Interview with Gus Pelogia (audio)
You can listen to this episode of the SEO Podcast by #SEOSLY below.
Interview with Gus Pelogia (notes)
Here are more detailed notes from my interview with Gus Pelogia.
About Gus Pelogia
- Originally from Brazil, now based in Ireland
- 11 years of experience in SEO
- Previously worked at SEO agencies and in-house
- Currently SEO Product Manager at Indeed
Tips and Insights from Gus
Link Building & Storytelling
- As a journalist, always looking for an interesting angle/story to get links
- Packaged existing airport lost & found data into engaging infographic that got good links
- The story/angle more important than flashy assets like infographics
- Spends “deep dive” sprints fully focused on one area – bot visits, local SEO automation etc.
- Learns through testing and breaking things on his own site
SEO & Conversions
- Getting business results ultimate goal – traffic itself doesn’t pay the bills
- Work with offline data to connect SEO to revenue where possible
- Ensure your “conversions” actually align to business goals, not just meaningless interactions
- Pitch ideas on potential SEO impact to get engineering resources
- Quantify impact where possible, though hard with brand new initiatives
- Bring SEO and UX together – anchors should match user intent, not just target keywords
- Daily competitor/SEO reading
- Occasional 2-day sprints focused on particular knowledge gaps
Advice for Beginners
- Create your own site as a testing ground instead of relying on clients
- Seeing your own content get traffic much more rewarding
Connect with Gus Pelogia
Make sure to subscribe to my SEO newsletter to stay fully informed and be notified when a new episode comes out.
You can subscribe to my newsletter using the form below.
Want to become a guest or provide ideas for the show?
If you want to become a guest on the show or you want to share ideas, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to hear from you. Contact me at [email protected].