Updated: February 24, 2023.
How much does an SEO audit cost? Let’s take a look.
As an SEO auditor, I know firsthand the importance of an SEO audit for any website.
An SEO audit is crucial to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your website and how it’s performing in search engines.
So, what exactly is an SEO audit? In simple terms, an SEO audit is a comprehensive analysis of your website’s technical and content-related SEO factors.
But, when it comes to the cost of an SEO audit, there can be a lot of variation.
In this article, I’ll dive into the different factors that influence the cost of an SEO audit and what you can expect to pay for a comprehensive and effective audit.
How much does an SEO audit cost? The gist
The cost of SEO audits can vary greatly, ranging from a few hundred dollars to even tens of thousands of dollars.
The average price you can expect to pay for a quality SEO audit performed by an SEO expert usually starts at $2500-$3000.
How much does an SEO audit cost? The details
When it comes to determining the cost of an SEO audit, there are several factors to consider.
The factors that affect the cost of an SEO audit
Let’s take a closer look at each of these factors:
- The size of the website: The size of your website is one of the biggest factors that affect the cost of an SEO audit. A larger website with more pages will typically require more time and effort to thoroughly audit.
- The complexity of the website: The complexity of your website is another important factor to consider. A more complex website with multiple systems and integrations will take longer to audit and require more expertise.
- The level of detail required: The level of detail that is required for your SEO audit will also play a role in determining the cost. A more comprehensive audit that covers a wider range of areas and provides more detailed recommendations will cost more than a basic audit.
- Industry and competition: The competitiveness of your industry and the level of competition you face can also affect the cost of an SEO audit. If your industry is particularly competitive, it may require a more in-depth audit to identify areas for improvement and stay ahead of the competition.
- Location of the SEO consultant or agency: The location of the SEO consultant or agency you choose can also impact the cost of an SEO audit. In general, SEO consultants or agencies located in larger cities or areas with a higher cost of living may charge more for their services.
- Experience of the SEO consultant: The experience and expertise of the SEO consultant you choose will also play a role in determining the cost of your SEO audit. A more experienced consultant with a proven track record of success is likely to charge more for their services, but their expertise and results may make the investment well worth it.
These are just a few of the factors that can impact the cost of an SEO audit.
Check this article: How to Find a Good SEO Consultant
The average cost of an SEO audit
Let’s now dive into the average cost of an SEO audit. The cost of an SEO audit can vary greatly depending on several factors.
Range of costs for different types of SEO audits
The cost of an SEO audit can vary greatly depending on the type of audit you need.
For example, a basic website audit that focuses on technical issues only might cost $1500, while a more in-depth audit that includes a competitive analysis and a full content audit can cost several thousand dollars.
Comparison of DIY vs hiring an SEO consultant or agency
If you’re on a tight budget, you might be tempted to do an SEO audit yourself using online tools or a DIY guide.
Keep in mind that a DIY audit is unlikely to be as comprehensive or effective as an audit performed by an experienced SEO consultant or agency.
An SEO professional will have the skills, knowledge, and tools to identify and resolve a wide range of SEO issues. They can provide you with a detailed report and actionable recommendations to help you improve your website’s visibility and performance.
Very cheap audits (for example of Fiverr) are usually a red flag
If you come across an SEO audit that seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Very cheap audits, such as those offered on Fiverr or other gig platforms, are often automated and provide little value.
- Automated audits can only identify basic technical issues, and they don’t take into account the unique needs and goals of your website or your target audience.
If you’re serious about improving your website’s SEO, it’s best to invest in a high-quality, professional audit.
Check my in-depth guide: How To Do An SEO Audit
Automated audits that usually have little value
While automated audits can be a helpful starting point, they’re unlikely to provide you with the depth and quality of information that you need to make meaningful improvements to your website.
An experienced SEO consultant or agency will have the knowledge and skills to perform a thorough, manual audit and provide you with actionable recommendations that are tailored to your unique needs.
Be careful of low-cost, automated audits, and invest in a high-quality, professional audit if you want to get the most value from your SEO efforts.
The benefits of an SEO audit for your website
When it comes to improving your website’s search engine optimization (SEO), investing in an SEO audit is very often a must.
By investing in an SEO audit, you can expect the following benefits:
- Full Awareness: You’ll have a complete understanding of how your site is performing and what issues it may have. This information is crucial in determining your next steps and making informed decisions about your website’s SEO.
- Next Steps: An SEO audit will provide you with a clear road map of the most critical things to focus on, allowing you to prioritize your SEO efforts.
- Critical Issues: SEO audits will help you identify any critical issues, such as being blocked from indexing, and provide recommendations on how to resolve them.
- Improved Rankings: Implementing the recommendations outlined in your SEO audit can lead to an improvement in your website’s rankings.
- Clear Road Map: You’ll have a clear list of things to implement on your site, either by yourself or with the help of your development team. This roadmap will ensure that you are on the right track to achieving your SEO goals.
Investing in an SEO audit is a wise decision for any website looking to improve its search engine visibility.
Red flags to watch out for when looking for an SEO auditor
As you look for an SEO auditor to help you improve your website’s search engine rankings, there are several red flags to be aware of.
Here are five things to watch out for when you’re considering hiring an SEO auditor:
- Very cheap price like 100$: While it may be tempting to choose an SEO auditor based on price, keep in mind that you often get what you pay for. If you’re offered a very cheap audit, it may be a sign that the auditor is not experienced or qualified to provide a comprehensive audit.
- Guaranteeing the results after the audit: An experienced and reputable SEO auditor will not guarantee specific results from an SEO audit. SEO is a complex process that involves many factors, and it’s not possible to guarantee specific outcomes.
- Not wanting to show you samples of their past audits: An SEO auditor who is confident in their work should be happy to provide you with examples of past audits they have conducted. This will help you get a sense of their experience and quality of work.
- Not wanting to have a discovery call to help you decide whether you want to hire them to do the audit or not: A good SEO auditor should be willing to have a discovery call with you to understand your needs and to help you decide whether they are the right fit for you.
- Not being clear about their process and the tools they are going to use: An experienced and reputable SEO auditor will be transparent about their process and the tools they use. If an auditor is not willing to explain their process or the tools they use, it’s a red flag that they may not be a good fit for you.
Final thoughts & tips
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, compare prices, and look for a consultant who is transparent about their process and has a track record of success.
Investing in a quality SEO audit can be a game-changer for your website, so make sure you choose wisely!
So, if you’re ready to take your website’s SEO to the next level, why not contact me today? Let’s start the conversation about how I can help you achieve your goals!
Check these other SEO audit guides I’ve created:
- What Is An SEO Audit?
- 99+ SEO Audit Mistakes
- How To Perform An SEO Audit Using Google Search Console
- How To Audit A Site With JetOctopus
- How To Audit A Site With Sitebulb